Position Summary: This position contributes to Clinical Pathology Laboratories success by assisting the regional manager in executing the operations of the laboratory. This job assists and supervises a team of employees that may include phlebotomists, laboratory assistants, couriers, processors, data entry, and team leads to create and maintain excellent service for our clients and patients. This position is responsible for leadership and acts in accordance with all Clinical Pathology Laboratories policies and procedures.
- Support the Regional Manager in implementing company programs by working directly with all team members to execute action plans that meet operational and organization objectives.
- Engage with team members, patients, and clients to develop relationships and understand the needs that should be communicated to increase overall patient and customer satisfaction. Model a patient satisfaction attitude, deliver above expected service results, and supervise staff to ensure they are committed to service excellence.
- Communicate with laboratory staff and its customers to ensure quality patient care.
- Maintain and support with all staff members a service oriented relationship with our customers.
- Respect and maintain the confidentiality of information relative to all patients and employees.
- Collaborate with Sales Team to increase revenue while controlling operational costs. Identify and report expense trends, to assist with cost containment. Monitor and evaluate inventory ordering and supply levels to create areas of improvement.
- Communicate clearly, concisely and accurately in order to ensure effective laboratory operations.
- Communicate with the staff as directed by the Regional Manager.
- Strive to maintain a positive work environment (lead by example).
- Ensures that the region is compliant with quarterly IOP visits and monthly PSC visits
- Responsible for accurate monthly reporting of service indicator data
- Tracks / performs problem log / specimen errors for department, and verifies that all issues are resolved daily. Submits a monthly specimen error report.
- Reviews patient surveys for the region. Distributes completed surveys to the appropriate location.
- Escalates appropriate patient / client complaints to the Regional Manager.
- Participates in weekly QI ops calls and modifies local policies and procedures as required in a timely manner.
- Effectively utilizes departmental personnel to promote:
- Efficient use of staff to attain adequate coverage and minimize overtime
- The appropriate use of supplies with minimal waste
- The operation of equipment to maximize productivity and minimize down time
- The constructive utilization of unstructured staff down time.
- Effectively manages the use of company vehicles to promote:
- Accurate and timely pick up of customer specimens / test
- Efficiency in route patterns
- Minimization of fuel and maintenance costs.
- Maintaining safety standards and current service records
VII. Ensure all team members are utilizing professional skills and abilities to perform accurate venipuncture and capillary blood collection, as well as accurately handling and processing specimens. Ensures the adherence to:
- Laboratory procedures for specimen collection and handling.
- Correct identification of patient and proper labeling of specimens.
- Correct identification and utilization of proper tubes, containers, transport media, and storage temperature for each test type.
- Correct identification and proper priority for collection process.
- Following appropriate guidelines as established by the laboratory for missed draws, recollects, or difficult sticks.
- Enthusiastically performs miscellaneous duties with timely completion. Duties will include but are not limited to:
- Supports phlebotomists, couriers, and processors in duties and functions.
- Coordinates new employee training across the department
- Audits standing orders and submits completed audits to the compliance committee.
- Tracks all training paperwork and submits to Regional Manager periodically
- Approves supplies and reviews customer supply orders for accuracy
- Discusses escalating discipline issues with Regional Manager and advises on appropriate counseling
- Ensures that Region is compliant with all HIPAA, safety, infection control, and OSHA blood borne pathogen guidelines
- Monitors that all PSC and IOP locations are clean and presentable
- Provides backup phlebotomy coverage as needed at PSC and IOP locations.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Works with minimal supervision
Education: High School Diploma
Experience: Required – two years of laboratory training or experience in specimen collection and processing. Two years of supervisory experience in a laboratory/medical setting.
Reporting Relationship: Reports to the Regional Manager
Physical Requirements: May require: light physical effort (lift/carry up to 50 lbs.); pulling and pushing of objects, occasional reaching, stooping, bending, kneeling, crouching; Must be able to hear, see, and respond adequately; use of hands and fingers.
Environmental Demands: Works in temperature controlled environment with possible exposure to biological and chemical hazards. May be required to operate fire and safety equipment or follow other safety procedures in an emergency situation. May be required to work with time constraints and in crisis situations.
Must be able to successfully complete pre-employment background check and drug screen EOE